Forum account registration has been disabled for now due to large spammer volume. Please email me if you would like an account on the forum to chat with others or to set up a sync subscription.
Point calculation formulas
  • woot! Yo da man!
  • Could someone please tell me what changes I need to make to the custom formula I've entered into WWDiary? The formula that I am using calculates to the thousandth but I just need it to calculate to the tenths. I am using the following formula: ((fat*0.257)+(carbs*0.109)+(Protein*0.091)-(fiber*0.08)). Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks!
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    round(((fat*0.257)+(carbs*0.109)+(Protein*0.091)-(fiber*0.08))*10)/10

Can you provide some more background on the formula you are using?
  • Sure, I'm using the formula that you posted earlier in the thread but I've removed the 'round'. When I entered the information for Dr. Pepper, 20 ounces, (0 fat, 66 carbs, 0 fiber, and 0 protein) it is calculating to 7.194.

I know that I'm contantly gushing over your app, BUT tomorrow is payday and I'm most definitely going to make a donation! You go above and beyond!
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    Ok cool.

If you use what I posted up there, you'll see it takes what you posted and multiplies by 10, so your soda becomes 71.94, then rounds 72, then divides by 10 = 7.2
  • It works! I'm doing the happy dance. There's a few PointsPlus calculators that are in the market right now but the majority of them don't calculate correctly. Your app calculates perfectly and has always matched the WW calculator that I bought but don't need since I use my cellphone (apologies to the WW calculator users).

Once again, you're awesome!
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
  • Anyone have the new Activity Points formula working? Like Eckley60 I'm trying to get this into an Excel spreadsheet. Love the app (but losing my Droid and need to work manually for a while). THANKS!
  • tessler65btessler65b
    Member, Tester, VIP
    Do you know how many calories you're burning?

If you have an HRM, the conversion from calories to PointsPlus values is 80cal = 1AP. This is an UNOFFICIAL conversion gleaned from posts on the WW message boards. Many people are staying with the old 100cal=1AP formula so they don't overestimate how many APs they're earning.

If you don't use an HRM, I don't have any information on a conversion for you.
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    @tessler65b thanks for the info! Please let me know if you find out any more!
  • tessler65btessler65b
    Member, Tester, VIP
    @ddumont I have several people waiting for that information if I ever get it; I'll add you to the list! ;)
  • For Australia, it seems the formula is

max(round((16*protein+19*carbohydrates+45*fat+5*fiber)/175),0)

does it give the same result to do

floor((16*protein+19*carbs+45*fat+5*fiber)/175+1)

Thank you
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    that sounds reasonable. max and round also work in the calc though
  • Are there any plans to let you choose a formula for UK points? I didn't realise there was a difference till I pointed my lunch and your calc said 7 when it is infact 10. I tried putting in the total fat and it was still a point out at 9
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    What kinds of points? Are they calculated with protein fat fiber carbs? or just cal and sat fat?

If the former, then it's similar to the US points plus system. AFAIK, the calc is as accurate as the WW handheld tools. (anything with sugar alcohol may vary though). You can always enter in your own custom calculation though.
  • As far as i know (from wikipedia) UK point values use a different formula to the US because our (UK) food labeling system is slightly different. The carb value in the UK does not include fibre whereas US carb values include fibre. Everything else (inc. DPA) seems identical.

Never used your app before (I dont.even go.to.ww just support my wife who has only just started!) can I (and other UK users) enter our.own formula from wikipedia or.can you add it in the program suchh as a check box saying "UK"
    (sorry 4 shortness of.post sent from phone)
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    Yes you can edit a custom formula in settings.
  • Love love this app!!
    I'm needing a little help with custom formula. Im trying to use the old calculator and entered this formula that was posted here round((calories/50) + (fat/12) - (min(fiber, 4)/5))
    but point values are not coming out right, usually 1 point more ??

• ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    @lholguin If you were used to always rounding up then you can fix that in the formula.
    You can check that formula on the WW wikipedia page. remember to look for the one for the old system.
  • Thanks, Figured out the prob I entered a + instead of a - in front of fiber oopps...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged