Forum account registration has been disabled for now due to large spammer volume. Please email me if you would like an account on the forum to chat with others or to set up a sync subscription.
Integration with free/open nutrition databases
  • So, I have signed up and paid for the full subscription, $1 is totally worth it. But I am surprised that I haven't been able to find much in the database even when scanning stuff. But I wonder if that's because PayPal hasn't finished processing my subscription or not...

Anyway, I've been reading through the forums and it seems a lot of people are looking for more products in the shared database, and I was wondering if you've looked into integrating some of the free nutrition databases out there like these:
    https://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=896
    http://product.okfn.org/
    http://openfoodfacts.org/

I might even be able to lend a hand formatting/transforming the data or doing some of the coding if you need/want the help.

Anyway, just an idea. :-)
  • It's a shame this was never responded to. I would love to see this as well.
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    I've looked into it a bit and the information there is good. But I've been extremely busy at work lately and haven't had time to spend on the app. I'm hoping I'll get a few good weekends soon to spend some time on it.
  • Hi!!!! So I'm back to using this app after a break of nearly two years, and EVERYTHING had changed!! Yeay change!!!! But I have one v.important question - where is the Foods Online look-up database? I've been using the app for years (unless I have the wrong app saved on this new device...) and there has always been a database for basic things, and evensome not so basic.
    The previous app had many well known supermarket foods already stored on it.
    Am I looking in the wrong place or is it simply not there??? Its really hard to start over with NO catalogue of foods. Just the idea of having to put in all the calculations for basic things like sugar, chicken, milk and cheese is filling me with dread...
    Thanks for listening
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    There has never been a preexisting food db. you may not be using the same app :)

But if you need help, let me know!
    Once you put them in once you won't need to again, and there's a calculator to help you as well.
  • VilxVilx
    I couldn't find if this was suggested already, but perhaps you could share the source code on GitHub or something? That way others could help you out with the programming, even when you're too busy.
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    I've seriously considered it. Perhaps in the future I will. The codebase is a bit of a mess... it's been through a lot since the early days of android.
  • VilxVilx
    In the 10 years I've been a full-time programmer, I've yet to see a codebase which isn't a total mess. :D If that's the only thing holding you back, then don't worry - it's normal. :)
  • @ddumont - Pretty please opensource it? :) I'll fix your mess!
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    lol... I haven't ruled it out!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion