Forum account registration has been disabled for now due to large spammer volume. Please email me if you would like an account on the forum to chat with others or to set up a sync subscription.
Changes to WW system
  • Weight Watchers has just announced the details of their new SmartPoints system. The literature says that points values are now based on calories, saturated fat, sugar, and protein. From the new plan guide:
    1. Calories establish the baseline.
    2. Protein lowers the amount of SmartPoints.
    3. Sugar and saturated fats increase the SmartPoints

Will the app be updated to reflect these changes? I sincerely hope so because this has been a great help to me.
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    I will update the app provided I can find something that lets me know what the new formula is.
    I'll keep supporting points plus though, there are many people who don't want to change.
  • Thank you so much! I feel like Weight Watchers changes their point system every time I get a hang on the newest one. But thanks to this app, I'm able to continue with what working for me as I see fit. It's really helped me on my journey! Thanks again.
    I set out to lose 30lbs. by my 30th birthday and i did it!
    Check out how I did it and how I'm keeping it up.
    http://www.30byThrity.blog.com
  • Hi ddumont,

in the German forum they posted the following formula:

cal/30 + saturated fat/4 + sugar/8 - protein/10

I put the formula in WWDiary as follows:

round( (calories /30) + (satfat /4)+ (carbs / 8) - (protein / 10))

It seems to be the right formula.

I hope this will help you further.

Best regards,
    Feechen
  • I'm very glad to see that if you do get started with the new version of WW, you will keep the existing one for those who want it. I just got started 2 months ago, and I like the old way. Mind you, I haven't been able to use the app since November, and the website is telling me mad things like 3 points for 1 tsp butter. That's why I want to keep using the old way!
  • Today, I am having trouble logging in to the weight watchers homepage as well as to the app. So, I have used WWDiary with the above mentioned formula. I checked the results with my new calculator. The above formula is working perfectly. The only trouble is that I have to fill in the missing values (saturated fat, sugar and calories).

I am so glad that WWDiary exists. Should I notice in the next weeks that the smartpoints system does not work for me, I will have the opportunity to return to the old ProPoints at any time.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Feechen
  • @kiwib - There are major changes in point values from Points Plus to SmartPoints and you're not the only one having difficulty adjusting. You should see the criticisms in my WW Facebook group.

@Feechen - I'm afraid that formula is still off somewhere. Skinnytaste is a favorite source of mine for recipes. They post Points Plus and SmartPoints values for any recipe. I ran this recipe through that formula and it comes up as 7 points instead of 5 as specified on the site. I got similarly inaccurate results for several other recipes there, too.

I admit I'm probably being bullheadedly stubborn about continuing to use WWDiary instead of breaking down and buying the new calculator. But I like this app!
  • Where can I find your facebook group?
  • I also like this app very much. As I did not find a solution I surfed the internet and found the following on the website:

http://weightwatchergeek.blogspot.de/2015/12/a-comparison-of-weight-watchers-points.html

With this information it is possible to calculate the smartpoints values:

(0.0305 * calories) - (0.098*protein) + (0.12*sugar)+(0.275*sat fat)

According to the above mentioned website the more exact formula would be:

0.24*Sugar + 0.55*Saturated Fat + 0.27 * (Fat-Sat Fat) + 0.12 * (Carb - Sugar) + 0.024 * Protein + Alcohol * 0.18

At present in WWdiary the fields "sugar" and perhaps "alcohol" are missing. It would be so grate if this two field were added in a future update.

Best regards,
    Feechen
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    @Freechen I can certainly look into doing that. Are you able to confirm that this formula matches what the official calculator says?
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    @Freechen

so... with that more exact formula, there are many more values than just the ones that WW has you enter into the calculator... I'm not sure users are going to want to enter in carbs, sugars, fat, satfat, protein and alcohol.
  • I checked some values with my calculator. All I checked are correct. But give another 1 or 2 days in order to check more values. I will check everything I will eat the next 2 days with the calculator. I will use the simple formula which only needs calories, saturated fat, sugar and proteins.

I will post the results here.

Everything I ate today had the correct values resulting from the formula and with the calculator. There was no difference.

Regards,
    Feechen
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    Ok I'll look into adding the formula for the simplified formula you posted.
  • Today's result: The values of everything I ate today had again the same values with the formula and with the calculator. There was only one exception: A sauce. The difference was 2 grams. But I think this can be ignored.

Regards,
    Feechen
  • @ddumont - Just a reminder, the current WW formula only requires calories, sugar, saturated fat, and protein. At most, you'd have to add a line for sugar in the customize formula section to be in line with them. Personally, I can work around that by entering the sugar value as carbs. Thanks again to you and Feechen for the help.
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    @FelineRanger Yeah it looks like it. I was concerned reading the thread Feechen linked because the detailed formula in there uses much more than those variables.

I am looking into just adding the necessary fields into the app in support of the new formula. I probably won't change the default formula away from PP though. Still not sure what to do. I might have a new screen to have you choose.
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    @Feechen I just uploaded a new version that adds sugar. If you have a sync subscription and use more than once device, please update all of them to avoid an interruption in service. Adding the column for sugar caused a change in the schema that would have resulted in a loss of data if old clients synced.

Please let me know how it goes.
  • I tried to input using the calculator ww smartpoints but got this error message:
    Expntvld

Also how can I calculate my daily points?? Thanks
  • Hi ddumont,

Thank you so much. It is working!

Regards,
    Feechen
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    @Nycx1004 I've never seen that error. What formula did you put in?
  • Hi

I get the same error as Nycx1004. I've tried both of Feechen's formulas with and without spaces but can't get it working? The error occurs when I try and work out the point value of a food by entering the Calories, Protein, Sugar & Sat Fat? Any help would be appreciated.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion